Da Boys

Da Boys
Eating Old Fashioned Candy on the Banks of the Mississippi

A blog about the poetic adventures of two curly haired and boys...and Autism.

This blog was started after many friends told me I should keep a journal of my daily activities with my two sons. Our days are usually filled with fun details, sometimes some sad ones but when you have a child diagnosed with Autism.....there is always Adventure!

Friday, March 4, 2011

Vignettes of Boy Conversation..It's not the message but how you recieve the message.

So Veggie Tales is a very big movie venue in our household. Both boys enjoy them but the autisitc kid particularly gets a kick out of the singing vegetables and in his own style "dances" every time he sees me put a video in. ( In fact "God Made You Special"...is his favorite :-D...)
The whole series is very cute, very charming and the shows always crack me up. I appreciate silly humor but more importantly I love seeing the joy it brings my little boy.

So the other night we were watching one of the shows and the "Daddy" Asparagus told Junior Asparagus that he was going to bring some food to people on the other side of town who needed it. They had a bad experience and no longer had anything to eat. The moral of the story was to not put emphasis on the "Christmas experience" but to actually put Christian values to work. All fine and good as long as the intended listener gets the message. But remember, we're dealing with kids here.

My 5 year old hears this, and speaks up with a very concerned voice. "So Mommy, when we run out of food, my friends (and he names them) will come brings us food?"

My face drops. In a split second a whole nightmare unfolds in my mind of the things that could happen if he says this in public. If I don't stop this now I will undoubtedly be getting a call from the school.

"Um... son", I say. "If... and I do mean IF... we run out of food God will provide for us. You don't have to worry. DO NOT go to school tomorrow and tell your friends to bring you food...understand?"

"Ok , Mommy."

No comments:

Post a Comment